Geophysics Employment outside Oil & Gas

Anything about geophysics and geoscience: jobs, events, technical or general discussions ...
Student

Geophysics Employment outside Oil & Gas

Post by Student »

What is everyone's take on finding employment outside of mining, oil, and gas?

How is employment in water exploration, and what other applications does geophysics have where there is good employment (besides engineering geophysics)?

geophix
VIP Member
VIP Member
Top poster of the Month

Re: Geophysics Employment outside Oil & Gas

Post by geophix »

There are jobs in earthquake studies and nuclear exploding monitoring. I think the employment in water exploration is not as good as in engineering geophysics, but it depends on the country/region where you look for a job.

If you are looking for a job outside geophysics, I know people with geophysics degrees got jobs in finance because of computer and math skills acquired during geophysics study. There are also people getting into news reporting specializing in geosciences. There were a lot of people getting into computer related jobs 10 to 15 years ago, but now it's harder because of the economy and exploding number of graduates in computer majors.

Student

Post by Student »

I don't understand why geophysical exploration for water would not be high in demand. Isn't fresh water becoming harder to obtain?

GuyM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by GuyM »

Student wrote:I don't understand why geophysical exploration for water would not be high in demand. Isn't fresh water becoming harder to obtain?
In some places, perhaps, but not to the extent as yet that people are prepared to pay for a geophysical survey to locate water supplies.

I've seen some interest from people wanting to use seismic to track aquifers long which nitrate contamination (from farms) will spread into lakes and so on, but again, the cost of surveying meant that backed away from geophysical approaches.