calculate compressibility with depth and seismic velocity

Anything about geophysics and geoscience: jobs, events, technical or general discussions ...
Geronimo234

calculate compressibility with depth and seismic velocity

Post by Geronimo234 »

Hi there,

I need to calculate or estimate the compressibility from an area in the Northern German Basin. Somebody gave me the hint to look in the work from Jaritz et al. 1991, where he is descriping the seismic velocities depending on the deepth.
So I have the seismic velocities for each layer in the Basin and the depth from the start and the beginning of the layer, but I'm wondering how to get information about the compressibility ( K=(∆V/∆p)/V ) with that parameters.

Jaritz is only working with the p-waves, so I was told to find plausible values for the Poisson's ratio or the Vs/Vp relationship.

Is there anybody who can help me with this problem?

Greets and thank you,

Geronimo234

geophix
VIP Member
VIP Member
Top poster of the Month

Re: calculate compressibility with depth and seismic velocity

Post by geophix »

You need to use the formulas in the second page of the following pdf file. Basically you need to know P and S wave velocities and density to calculate shear modulus and bulk modulus.

https://pangea.stanford.edu/courses/gp2 ... ncepts.pdf

Geronimo234

Post by Geronimo234 »

Hi,

thank you very much for the formular!
The problem is that I only have Vp, so the P waves velocities..there is no way to find Vs, I'll try to find them, but in case there are no values, is there a posibility to calculate K without Vs or at least to estimate correct values?

geophix
VIP Member
VIP Member
Top poster of the Month

Post by geophix »

I guess you have to estimate Vs from Vp using experienced data. You can google relationships of Vp and Vs in some situations such as saturated sandstone, etc, whichever fitting the geology of your model.

Geronimo234

Post by Geronimo234 »

I found some data, hopefully they'll do it. Got the compressibility now and I will check them tomorrow.

Thank you very much for your help!