Geophysics & renewable energy?

Anything about geophysics and geoscience: jobs, events, technical or general discussions ...
Seismic101
Gold Member
Gold Member

Geophysics & renewable energy?

Post by Seismic101 »

Hi there,

Just a general discussion, is there a role for Geophysicists in the domain of renewable energy (solar/ wind)? For example, I read that there is planning/ surveying before they start building wind farms or solar stations ... can we have part in that?

Thanq in advance

geophix
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Geophysics & renewable energy?

Post by geophix »

This is about geotechnical investigation, and happens to be related to renewable energy in the case of the wind farm. I guess you are talking about MASW (Multi channel Analysis of Surface Waves) for this specific case of wind farm. This is a niche field, meaning it's new and and thriving to expand the market. In general, this is the field of near surface geophysics, where the typical concern depth range are from the ground surface to tens of meters. Seismic refraction, MASW, electrical resistivity imaging, electromagnetic mapping and ground penetrating radar are typical methods utilized. Seismic reflection only occupies a small portion of the survey work in near surface geophysics for engineering and geotechninal investigations.

GuyM
VIP Member
VIP Member
Top poster of the Month

Post by GuyM »

I'd add that the large number of planned offshore windfarms require the same kind of site investigations as oil platforms - mostly multi-beam and seismic studies. Fugro is one main contractor in this area.

Seismic101
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Seismic101 »

Thanks for the comprehensive response everyone, you've just given me another reason to study geotechnical engineering! :D