GPR in clay

Anything about geophysics and geoscience: jobs, events, technical or general discussions ...
deepamk1989
Silver Member
Silver Member

GPR in clay

Post by deepamk1989 »

Hello all,
GPR has to be used in a thick layer of clay. What should you consider to make the collected data usable? I read GPR is not good in clay due to high signal attenuation. But i see in many places they use GPR in clays.
Thanks in advance :)

geophix
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: GPR in clay

Post by geophix »

There is little you can do. Maybe you can try filtering to filter out high frequency components? When collecting data, lower frequency antenna would have better penetrating depth. You can also try stacking when collecting data.

deepamk1989
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by deepamk1989 »

Thanks a lot for quick replies:)
A very complex traffic interchange will be constructed in the hard rock, approximately 10 m beneath the ground surface. The new interchange is mainly located in a hill of outcropping hard rock and the rock structures are mainly steeply dipping in this area.Can you suggest two geophysical methods that you will use directly from the outcropping bedrock surface at the new traffic interchange in order to clarify the orientation of the structures and the rock quality in this area?
I think GPR and VLF can be two methods to study the orientation and rock type in the area. Or is seismic reflection a better method than all these? What is your suggestion?

geophix
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by geophix »

deepamk1989 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:17 pm
Thanks a lot for quick replies:)
A very complex traffic interchange will be constructed in the hard rock, approximately 10 m beneath the ground surface. The new interchange is mainly located in a hill of outcropping hard rock and the rock structures are mainly steeply dipping in this area.Can you suggest two geophysical methods that you will use directly from the outcropping bedrock surface at the new traffic interchange in order to clarify the orientation of the structures and the rock quality in this area?
I think GPR and VLF can be two methods to study the orientation and rock type in the area. Or is seismic reflection a better method than all these? What is your suggestion?
Seismic refraction (not reflection) and electrical resistivity imaging. Seismic reflection is difficult since the bedrock is shallow and it's hard to pick up the reflection arrivals due to the masking of early direct arrivals and refraction arrivals, etc. GPR is possible, but it depends on whether the GPR has enough penetration depth. VLF will not help much in this situation.

deepamk1989
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by deepamk1989 »

Thanks a lot. I did well for the exam :)

geophix
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by geophix »

Congrats!

Coastal
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coastal »

Suggestions GPR and VLF should have seen you do poorly, if they were your answers! :P