Earth`s magnetic field fading

Anything about geophysics and geoscience: jobs, events, technical or general discussions ...
Cavit

Earth`s magnetic field fading

Post by Cavit »

Recent measurements show a rapid orienration change and fading of Earth`s magnetic field.

I understand that planetary magnetic fields are created by magnetohydrodynamic effect, that means some ionised fluids in motion, that means hot molten layers and differntial motion.

For Earth size bodies of similar composition and age, the magnetic field is allready gone due heat loss and solidification.

Earth is a special case due to tidal brake provided by the Moon, it generate internal heat and outer layers brake that maintain the magnetohydrodynamic effect and magnetic field.

But Moon is pushed away from Earth, and Earth tends to cool down and magnetic field fade.

I have a quiestion: is feasible to build an artificial magnetic field generator powerred by sun light as a ecuatorial winding?

What is the minimal current that prvide a magnetic field strong as it is now?

geophix
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Earth`s magnetic field fading

Post by geophix »

Radioactive decay is the main source of heat generating, not moon. Although artificial magnetic field is an interesting idea, we will not need it very soon.

Cavit

Re: Earth`s magnetic field fading

Post by Cavit »

i understand, but something make me to be unsure. a some kind of pattern in Solar system.

E.G. Venus has not a measurable magnetic field but it is hoter than Earth, aslo it may contain more heavy fisionable elements, but it have not a magnetic field.

But Mercury is subject of a tidal lock that act like a brake on outer layers, it has a relatively strong magnetic field despite it is small, something keep it`s core melted,

I guess tidal brake is a key player in magnetohydrdynamic effect, molten layers are not sufficient, possible in young bodies thermal convection is strong enough to generate magnetohydrodynamic effect and magnetic fields, but older bodies need tidal brake.

Large bodies as Uranus or Neptune are active, generate magnetic felds by themselfs no need tidal brake.