Geophysicist roles at an operator (Exxon/Shell/NOCs) VS service companies (SLB/CGG)

Anything about geophysics and geoscience: jobs, events, technical or general discussions ...
Quark Scan Inc.
astralscythe

Geophysicist roles at an operator (Exxon/Shell/NOCs) VS service companies (SLB/CGG)

Post by astralscythe »

Hey guys, am a recent Geophysics graduate planning my career path. Would just like to understand the general hierarchy or differences between being employed as a geophysicist in both operators (oil supermajors or NOCs) and service companies.

For Engineering positions, the sentiment online seems to be that positions at an operator are overwhelmingly preferred over service companies, due to better pay and work-life balance. Does this also hold for geophysicist positions?

What are some of the key differences between operators and service providers, and is transitioning between them reasonably possible? Why would someone prefer working in the former over the latter?
Quark Scan Inc. - underground utility locating and geophysical survey services in NJ NY and PA
Michael_Seman
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Geophysicist roles at an operator (Exxon/Shell/NOCs) VS service companies (SLB/CGG)

Post by Michael_Seman »

Service companies would be doing mostly acquistion and processing. At oil company, you would probably need interpretation skills. Despite that, I have known geophysicists at service companies jumping ship to operators, and hardly any moving the other way.
astralscythe

Re: Geophysicist roles at an operator (Exxon/Shell/NOCs) VS service companies (SLB/CGG)

Post by astralscythe »

Michael_Seman wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:26 pm Despite that, I have known geophysicists at service companies jumping ship to operators, and hardly any moving the other way.
Why is that?