Introduction to Geophysics Careers

Anything about geophysics and geoscience: jobs, events, technical or general discussions ...
Quark Scan Inc.
Resource
Gold Member
Gold Member

Introduction to Geophysics Careers

Post by Resource »

Careers in geophysics in general -- What is geophysics? Careers as geophysicists and geophysical technologists, education, courses, salaries, job opportunities...
A video from Canadian Society of Exploration Geophysicists (CSEG). It takes some time to load and it starts after 10 percent is loaded, be patient.

Careers in geophysical sciences -- Seismology, Oceanography, Meteorology, Geodesy, Geomagnetism, Paleomagnetism, Atmospheric physics and Interplanetary geophysics.
Geophysicist Career Facts

Careers in oil and gas exploration geophysics -- Land or marine seismic surveys; Design, permitting, surveying, source effect, recording and data processing
A series of videos from International Association of Geophysical Contractors (IAGC).
1, 2 ,3, 4, 5, 6

Careers in mining geophysics -- For a mining geophysicist, a good defense is built on a strong academic background in physics, math, geology, geophysics, and electrical engineering. A working knowledge of computer hardware and software programming is invaluable. Moreover, ample
common sense, open-mindedness, and self-motivation are a must.
The diverse challenges in a mining geophysics career

Careers in near surface geophysics -- Environmental, Engineering, Archaeological, Forensic and other near surface applications; varieties of geophysical methods and targets
Prepare for your near-surface geophysics career in the industry
Quark Scan Inc. - underground utility locating and geophysical survey services in NJ NY and PA
geophix
VIP Member
VIP Member
Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/groundpenetratingradar/

Re: Introduction to Geophysics Careers

Post by geophix »

For people who are interested in doing research in geophysical sciences which typically requires a Ph.D. degree, there is a list of PhD granting institutions from American Geophysical Union (AGU) website.
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dave »

I remember I googled before for geophysical careers. The information from the internet are overwhelming and confusing. Different people are all talking about geophysics, but apparent different topics, sometimes not even remotely related. Now I understand there are clearly two types of geophysics careers: one is geophysical science, the other one is about technology, or applied geophysics. To pursue the science career, you need a Ph.D degree, and you can call yourself a scientist. For applied geophysics, you usually call yourself a geophysicist or geophysical technician. Thanks for the clarification!
marken
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by marken »

Permitting is a critical part of oil and gas exploration. Those monster trucks for seismic surveys can really shake the ground, making neighborhoods in earthquake motions. As a geophysicist working on technical problems, I am glad I don't have to participate in this part to deal with irritated people.
Katywillen
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Katywillen »

This is true that the information from the internet are overwhelming and confusing. Different people are all talking about geophysics, but apparent different topics, sometimes not even remotely related. Telehealth