Advice for buying a sub-bottom profiler

Geophysical applications on environmental investigation, mineral prospecting, engineering, archaeology, forensics, hydrology...
Quark Scan Inc.
Vlad Lazar

Advice for buying a sub-bottom profiler

Post by Vlad Lazar »

Hi guys!

The company I'm working for wants to buy a sub-bottom profiler and I was as asked to scan the internet. We would like to have a device that could be portable and be deployed by hand, as we are working mainly on small boats without cranes, in shallow waters. It would be very helpful if you could tell me facts regarding your personal working experience with those type of sub bottom profilers, after all the websites are made to show only their strengths.

Thanks a lot,
Vlad
Quark Scan Inc. - underground utility locating and geophysical survey services in NJ NY and PA
gmowoe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Advice for buying a sub-bottom profiler

Post by gmowoe »

I recommend Edgetech 3100, it is portable by hand (but it might need two people) and suitable for shallow water. I have used it in water as shallow as 6 feet and the data is still good. You can deploy it behind your boat with a rope without any problems. You may want the smaller antenna (SB424) instead of the bigger and heavier SB216.
http://www.edgetech.com/edgetech/galler ... ng-systems
searcher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by searcher »

I've seen a lot of success using the Stratabox from Syquest in everything from deep bays to 2' deep settling ponds. It produces decimeter resolution and you can mount it on smaller craft like inflatables.
timver
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by timver »

Don't buy any Syquest products! I have very bad experiences on their products.
Vlad Lazar

Post by Vlad Lazar »

Thank you for your replies! The EdgeTech sub-bottom looks nice. We are not quite on a short budget, so we would rather prefer quality, the Stratabox sounds like a low cost solution and last year we have bought a StarFish side-scan sonar that was a low cost, but the data was not satisfying.

We have also thought about this systems:
Inomar SES-2000 compact SBP
IxBlue SSD Echoes 10000
Teledyne TTV 170

Does the EdgeTech comes with a software that can process data after the acquisition like the IxBlue? Do you have any idea on how expensive could be the whole solution if you must buy licence for a processing software?

Thanks!
gmowoe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gmowoe »

The EdgeTech 3100 does not come with a processing software, but I am sure you can also use DELPH to process the data. About the price, maybe DELPH on this board can answer the question. :D I guess it's not cheap, but the software does look very nice.
appliedsonar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by appliedsonar »

I think that the Edgetech system has a facility for converting data to SEG - Y. SEG Y format files for sub-bottom data can be processed successfully using:

1) Hypack
2) Dr Geo
3) Chesapeake
4) CODA

Applied acoustics and Geo-Acoustics also make sub-bottom profiler systems.....
gmowoe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gmowoe »

Yes, for the Edgetech system, you can save the data in SEG-Y format. There shouldn't be much problem for data processing. However, I doubt whether you should choose Hypack for the data processing. Hypack is good for side scan sonar data processing, but the functions for sub bottom data processing still need to be improved.

Here is a list of sub-bottom profiler manufactures: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=316
Vlad Lazar

Post by Vlad Lazar »

I've looked for Geo Acoustics and Applied acoustics... do you think you can operate their sub-bottom profiles only by hand, with no use of a crane? The Geo-acoustics SB looks quite big and the Applied Acoustic system integrates streamer cables and the whole systems looks fairly large (our boats are not bigger than 9 meters, for a larger ship we rented a fishing boat but we cannot rely on that). The CODA software appears to be promising, thank you!

Do you think the Kingdom software is good for processing? Gmowoe, what software have you used for that? (thanks for the link to the topic).

Thank you guys,
Vlad
gmowoe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gmowoe »

I use Chesapeake Sonarwiz.
WMGC

Post by WMGC »

Vlad... We have a used StrataBox for sale. Let me know if you are interested and I can provide more details.
gmowoe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gmowoe »

WMGC wrote:Vlad... We have a used StrataBox for sale. Let me know if you are interested and I can provide more details.
How do you like this instrument?
WMGC

Post by WMGC »

We have not used the instrument in a while but it was working well when we shelved it. We have shifted our focus to high resolution, multi-channel towed streamer operations preferring to apply our techniques to imaging deeper strata.
gmowoe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gmowoe »

WMGC wrote:We have not used the instrument in a while but it was working well when we shelved it. We have shifted our focus to high resolution, multi-channel towed streamer operations preferring to apply our techniques to imaging deeper strata.
Would you mind to tell me what multi-channel towed streamer you switched to? I am using EdgeTech 3100 in a regular basis for my sub bottom profiling and wondering whether there are other good options.
Gery
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Gery »

searcher wrote:I've seen a lot of success using the Stratabox from Syquest in everything from deep bays to 2' deep settling ponds. It produces decimeter resolution and you can mount it on smaller craft like inflatables.
really?? btw, you don't work for stratabox, do you? it would be good to have some of those great images having decimeter resolution (I imagine that decimeter structures have been seismically resolved with such devices).
rroeyc

Post by rroeyc »

Hello,

Can anyone tell me the approximate cost of an Edgetech 3100 system w/ the SB-424?

Regards,
Ryan
rroeyc

Post by rroeyc »

Hello,

Can anyone tell me the approximate cost of an Edgetech 3100 system w/ the SB-424?

Regards,
Ryan
geophix
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by geophix »

I guess it's around $30,000 to $40,000?
kkayus

urgent help on edgetech 3100

Post by kkayus »

Please All,
I am having issue of low preamp voltage message pop up while trying to use this equipment. Any way out?
Peter Louka

Post by Peter Louka »

@kkayus I had the same problem unfortunately the TR switch needs to be replaced. it will transmit but won't receive.