metal detecting

Geophysical applications on environmental investigation, mineral prospecting, engineering, archaeology, forensics, hydrology...
Bayoubill

metal detecting

Post by Bayoubill »

I am searching for a cache of non-ferrous metal. I was wondering if there is a way I can pinpoint the location without having to scan a bigger area. I think I have narrowed the location within a square mile but because the site is 2 1/2 hours from my house, it is hard for me to constantly be at the site.
Thank you!

ncoord
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: metal detecting

Post by ncoord »

How large is the metal and how deep is it?

Bayoubill

Post by Bayoubill »

The cache is approximately 300 pounds and no more than 5 feet deep.

ncoord
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by ncoord »

It is a big area. You can use a cart-mounted metal detector such as EM61 with GPS and pull it with a ATV. You should be able to finish it within one week. This is assuming the ground surface is relatively flat and favorable for driving. If you have to walk with the metal detector, it's going to take much longer time.

Bayoubill

Post by Bayoubill »

Thanks for the information. But the problem is that this cache was buried in the 1870's close by a riverbank. The area is kinda swampy. It used to be a huge tract of cypress trees until loggers came in during the early 1900's and cut all the trees. And now it has a lot of swamp land. I have been to this area metal detecting in general and the terrain is not really suitable for driving.
I thought about attaching a magnetometer on a helicopter but not sure if it's feasible.

ncoord
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by ncoord »

If you have access to a helicopter, airborne metal detecting would be the best way to do it. However, since it's not a ferrous metal, you should use an EM instrument instead of a magnetometer.

Bayoubill

Post by Bayoubill »

Not familiar with the term EM.

ncoord
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by ncoord »

Bayoubill wrote:Not familiar with the term EM.
Electromagnetic

Bayoubill

Post by Bayoubill »

Thanks for the information. Where is the best place to get a electro-magnetic machine?
I greatly appreciate all the help!

Geowizard

Post by Geowizard »

Bayoubill,

Look around for a Whites Electronics TM-808. Metal detectors used by recreational treasure hunters are limited to very shallow targets. A two coil system like the TM-808 will probably work for your application.

A helicopter borne system such a DIGHEM (do a search) is too large and too costly for your application.

You will need to plan on organizing a survey. You will need to plan the survey and plan on taking the TM-808 for a long walk! :D

The reason is that your target requires the TM-808 or similar system to be near the surface - within a distance of 10 feet of the target for best results. It's not realistic to fly a detector/sensor that close to the ground - so, you will need to work out the details for conducting the survey.

There are plenty of sharks out there that claim long range capabilities. They offer systems and/or services that are not based on credible science.

For best results - use a detector like a TM-808. Do it yourself. Check the detector response with a similar target. Learn how the system responds to various targets.

Plan on walking (traversing) the area in a grid pattern. Either use a GPS receiver for recording position at regular locations along a line or counting paces as you walk. This will involve WORK. If you have certain areas that have higher probability - work those areas first and prioritize each area based on your judgment of being a more or less likely area of interest.

The reason for documenting locations and readings in an organized manner is to avoid missing areas and avoiding overlapping lines which wastes time.

Your survey lines will need to be 10 feet apart to avoid missing the target. The reality is that you will have 529 lines - one mile long to survey. The good news is IF the target is there, you may find it sooner rather than later. Worst case scenario is - you must walk the entire survey.

If it is at all possible to use a 4-wheeler as suggested above, do so. The problem is that the 4-wheeler looks like a target and will interfere. That requires the detector be towed or suspended away from the 4-wheeler. You can use headphones with an extension to listen for a response.

Feel free to ask more questions!

- Geowizard

Geowizard

Post by Geowizard »

Bayoubill,

Marshes represent a challenge for conducting a geophysical survey.

A small hovercraft might work or a jet ski depending on the type of marsh you are looking at - possibly an air boat.

These solutions are not well suited for electronic measurements. You need an electrically quiet and mechanically stable platform to carry the detector.

- Geowizard

rorybagleys

Post by rorybagleys »

Sounds like a case of lost treasure. A drone might work for flying the detector around - but it would probably need to be a very large drove.
Best of luck to you!

keshymarkyz

Post by keshymarkyz »

Its been a royal change which you glad and mark those metal inside

timdraper90

Post by timdraper90 »

This sounds interesting. This information about metal detecting might be useful someday. I have an area that I need to check which has a similar problem.