ERT(electronic resistivity topograph)-interface impedance

Geophysical applications on environmental investigation, mineral prospecting, engineering, archaeology, forensics, hydrology...
TingYan

ERT(electronic resistivity topograph)-interface impedance

Post by TingYan »

Hello. Does anyone know how to define the interface impedance with the vertical current density and the potential continuity?

geophix
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: ERT(electronic resistivity topograph)-interface impedance

Post by geophix »

I consider myself an expert on ERT, but I still don't understand your question. Can you explain it a little bit more?

kaminae
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by kaminae »

I suppose, he means boundary conditions for DC.

TingYan

Post by TingYan »

Hi Geophix and Kaminae, thank you for your reply. I saw a definition of a impedance(the author use the sentence like: with the vertical current density and the potential continuity, the impedance can be defined by ......) in one paper with the equation like: impedance = a constant * the secondary potential divided by (the vertical current density); I have no idea about this definition and why he uses this.

2nd question: I believe the boundary conditions are used on the total potentials while in some paper they use the boundary conditions only on the secondary potentials which i think its wrong. I am confused then.....

Many thanks.

geophix
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by geophix »

I believe you are talking about one of the modeling methods in which the total potential is separated into two potentials: primary potential and secondary potential. The primary potential is used to deal with source and receivers in a uniform model, while the secondary potential is caused by variations of the resisitivities. So after removal of the primary potential due to the source (and receiver?) geometry, the modeling and inversion use only the secondary potential field which I suppose dealing with resistivity variations more directly.

TingYan

Post by TingYan »

thank you. I got it. Sorry to reply you so late.

geophix
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by geophix »

TingYan wrote:thank you. I got it. Sorry to reply you so late.
Glad to know it works for you now. My pleasure to help.