Subsurface utility locating

Geophysical applications on environmental investigation, mineral prospecting, engineering, archaeology, forensics, hydrology...
uulow98
Silver Member
Silver Member

Subsurface utility locating

Post by uulow98 »

A geophysical consulting company did a job for underground utility locating. Beside the ground penetrating radar, they used many cable/pipe locators including a Fisher TW-6, a Fisher FX-3, a Radiodetection C.A.T. and a Radiodetection RD4000. Is it really necessary to use so many of them?

ul890hrhr
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Subsurface utility locating

Post by ul890hrhr »

It looks redundant to me if they use each of them for a complete survey.

uulow98
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by uulow98 »

I don't think they used every one of them to trace each pipe/cable. But I am sure it cost time to use all of them. I am wondering how many pipes they can find using TW-6 and FX-3.

geophix
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by geophix »

It’s most likely that multi person used different buried cable locators at the same time. Or they just used certain functions of some locators. As for the cable/pipe locating equipment, they are very similar, although they do have some differences. I would say it’s redundant if you use two different locators to trace the same line.

TW-6 and FX-3 can be useful in blind searching in certain situations, especially when there are no pipes or cables visible where you can use the transmitters of the cable locators.

Some pipes or cables are easy to find and can be found through cable locators, metal detectors, magnetometers or ground penetrating radar, etc. But in some situations, some underground utilities can only be detected by one particular instrument if they can be detected at all. There are other underground mapping tools you can use for underground line locating, such as Geonics EM61 and EM31 and Geophex GEM3, etc. You just have to choose according to the budget and suitability, and try your luck. In general, more instruments you use, less utilities you could miss.

idawg
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by idawg »

I don't think TW-6 and FX3 work well in subsurface utility locating. They might help to find some pipes which you would miss otherwise, but this kind of situations are rare and they are waste of time in most cases.

uulow98
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by uulow98 »

I never used TW-6 or FX-3. I know sometimes I can't find some cast iron pipes with the pipe locators even I know they are there. Maybe in this kind of situations they could help?

ganlen
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ganlen »

You can use EM equipments like GSSI Profiler EMP-400 and Geonics EM61. You can use all kinds of fancy staff; it depends on the budget, site conditions and what kind of underground utilities expected.

Simon
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Simon »

We can't judge here without knowing the circumstance. In a sense, every utility locating is unique.

uulow98
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by uulow98 »

Here is the link for the report: http://www.readingpa.gov/documents/Appendix%20E.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eric2009
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by eric2009 »

It looks like a government project. TYPICAL. They concerned not much about budget.

DGI

Post by DGI »

Hi
Take a look here....https://www.sensoft.ca/georadar/utility-locating/

It would be a pleasure for me supporting you with more answers if needed.
Regards
Dieter