GPR wanted

Market place for buying or selling products and services etc. Must be relevant to geophysics.
Quark Scan Inc.
Oakacorn
Top poster of the Month

GPR wanted

Post by Oakacorn »

Hi All

This is my first post so hello.

I am looking to buy a used GPR for amateur archaeology use. Possibly a Mala but I would be open to other suitable makes. I think a 400mhz antenna will be the most suitable. I would need to be able to download the data for post processing.
I live in the South East of England.

If anyone has any views on the subject and would be glad to hear them especially on post processing software.
Quark Scan Inc. - underground utility locating and geophysical survey services in NJ NY and PA
geophix
VIP Member
VIP Member
Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/groundpenetratingradar/

Re: GPR wanted

Post by geophix »

I guess for archaeology, you want to see depth slices/3D views of GPR data. I don't know any cheap options to process and provide 3D views for a large area. I don't think the GPR brand matters much, as long as you choose the right frequencies for your applications. Mala, GSSI and Sensors Software GPRs are all good. The newer Screen Eagle step-frequency GPR provides multiple frequencies and data processing capacity, but you need a yearly subscription which costs a few thousand dollars per year.
Oakacorn
Top poster of the Month

Re: GPR wanted

Post by Oakacorn »

Hi geophix
Everything you say is what I need. Medium depth antenna, say 400 Mhz. Depth slicing is a must but the ability to do 3D as well. The problem I have is that there are no used GPR's in the UK. There is plenty of archaeology going on over here but you try and find a used GPR!
Looking on ebay they come up all the time in the USA and Australia but they are risky for me to buy. Plus there is import tax and VAT at 20%.
I have a Resistivity and a Magnetometer but I would like to be able to do Radar.
Thanks for the post though.
Oakacorn