Geotechnical and geophysical crossover for geo-engineering challenges

Oil and natural gas exploration -- geology and geophysics
umbi

Geotechnical and geophysical crossover for geo-engineering challenges

Post by umbi »

Yo! What's up? I'm a new member, I'm from Italy and I'm finishing my bachelor in geology in Bicocca, with a bachelor's thesis in geotechnics. I'm writing here becouse it's been several months that a, I guess, highly potential idea has been spinning around my head. I found out that my main interests are geophysics, geotechnics and enginereeing geology (in particular not only soil and rock mechanics but also groundfluid mechanics) applied to energetic problems related to georesources (hydrocarbons, water etc). Indeed I searched about that and found out that there are majors in geotechnical engineering, specialized in energetic extraction (geothermal resources etc); obviously depending by the thesis. So, I was thinking: what about a kinda new professionist that combines in itself geophysical, applied geotechnical engineering and engineering geology for energetic extraction solutions?
I'd like to do something new in this field. Yet, I'm not sure what would be better to start to achieve this purpose doing the shot as best as I can. For instance, in this period I'm thinking about continuing my studies to ETH, precisely enrolling to the major in geophysics, choosing some non-compulsory exams among that ones from engineering geology's major and doing a 30 ETC thesis in applications for resources extraction related also to geomechanics interactions. Then I found out that in TU Delft there's a master's degree in geo engineering and will be there (next year) a master in geo energy egineering too, strictly related to soil and rock mechanics. The cool is that, if I'll take a master in geophysics with some exams from geotechnics, if I decide to get also the master in geo engineering or geo energy engineering, several exams will be probably validatad with no need to repeat them, such making the second master's track shorter. Obviously, before (and maybe also during) studying for this second master, I would work.
Is there someone here can tell me something about a similar pioneeristic experience?

umbi

Re: Geotechnical and geophysical crossover for geo-engineering challenges

Post by umbi »

Anyone here?