a PhD in Exploration Geophysics?!

Oil and natural gas exploration -- geology and geophysics
shahriar123

a PhD in Exploration Geophysics?!

Post by shahriar123 »

Hello everyone,

I have one general question. What do you think of pursuing a PhD in exploration geophysics?

What do you think of the future of this field?
Is there any special topic in this field that be more secure in job opportunities?
Or, what other alternative majors do you suggest for a graduated with a M.Sc. in exploration geophysics?

Coastal
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: a PhD in Exploration Geophysics?!

Post by Coastal »

Hi Shahriar,

I would pose a question in response:

"What do you expect from a PhD"?

A PhD will not necessarily increase your chances of employment. It won't guarantee you a better career, nor will it bring you fame and fortune.

What it will bring you, is (i) the opportunity to research something you enjoy, and (ii) the time to invest in truly understanding a narrow field of science.

If you're smart, you'll be able to use the time to network, develop writing and presentation skills, and publicise your work. Otherwise, you may end up with an esoteric booklet of research, which nobody will ever read.

In regards to other suggestions - what is it you believe to be valuable? Is there scope for business management opportunities within companies you're interested in? Perhaps instrumentation development (e.g. engineering applications)? Project development and computed automation?

You best option may be to consult your own strengths, and assess demands from the current market.

shahriar123

Re: a PhD in Exploration Geophysics?!

Post by shahriar123 »

Actually, I completely agree with your opinion on this, however, the reason I am looking for its answer is that I think the future of exploration geophysics (what I am graduated with) is not so bright, at least I am not sure about it. If I am wrong please let me know, I appreciate it.

So, somehow, I think I may need a new line. According to my situation, PhD maybe the best choice since Master degrees do not have a fund or scholarship.