does anybody use CGM plots anymore?

Oil and natural gas exploration -- geology and geophysics
Michael_Seman
Silver Member
Silver Member

does anybody use CGM plots anymore?

Post by Michael_Seman »

I gather paper plots have have dwindled away - I have seen quite a few plotters in rubbish skips the last few years. Recently I tried demo versions of two programs which are supposed to support CGM*PIP format (used for seismic data). One of them worked properly, but the other didn't. I guess it is such a small market, they won't assign a programmer to fix it up. I noticed that the specs for basic CGM alone runs to 449 pages, and is out of print anyway if you wanted to work with it.

GuyM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: does anybody use CGM plots anymore?

Post by GuyM »

It's seems not.

The convenience of an interpretation workstation seems to outweigh the value you could get from a 1:25,000, 10cm/second scale hardcopy, especially of a very long regional line. Personally I liked zoom and spatial filtering functions of paper (standing back, or getting close to the plot and looking along it from one end) :-)

I did post a minor rant about this half a decade ago;

: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/praise-p ... uy-maslen/

Some packages still do paper plots (although not all use CGM, which is a pain as you say), but you don't see a group of geophysicists cluster round a 6 or 7 metre long seismic section kicked out across the floor anymore, like you once did.