North Carolina sues over federal decision on seismic testing

Oil and natural gas exploration -- geology and geophysics
Newsman
VIP Member
VIP Member

North Carolina sues over federal decision on seismic testing

Post by Newsman »

NORTH CAROLINA (WWAY/AP) — On Wednesday, Attorney General Josh Stein filed a lawsuit in federal court to block the Trump Administration for allowing seismic exploration for oil and gas off the North Carolina coast.

“Protecting our state’s beautiful natural resources – and the critical economic benefits they bring to our state – is one of the most important mandates of my job,” AG Stein said. “North Carolinians have made their views crystal clear: We do not want drilling off our coast. I am going to court to fight on their behalf.”

Seismic testing uses powerful airguns that blast sounds at the ocean floor repeatedly for months at a time. Marine experts say these sounds can harm marine and coastal resources – and could have significant impacts on the state’s fishing and tourism industries.

The lawsuit says the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration was wrong in overriding the state’s objections to the tests.

The AG said the federal government’s override of North Carolina’s objections to offshore drilling would pave the way for WesternGeco, one of five companies seeking to conduct seismic exploration, to move one step closer to receiving necessary permits.

“North Carolina objected to this proposal because the company’s activities would be inconsistent with North Carolina’s coastal management program, which is designed to guide uses of the state’s coastal resources,” Stein said. “North Carolina’s well-reasoned objection was made after the state conducted public hearings, received numerous comments, and solicited and received substantial additional information from scientific researchers and others.”

Many Republican state legislators support offshore exploration, citing jobs and energy independence.

https://www.wwaytv3.com/2020/08/26/nort ... c-testing/

GuyM
VIP Member
VIP Member
Top poster of the Month

Re: North Carolina sues over federal decision on seismic testing

Post by GuyM »

Seismic testing uses powerful airguns that blast sounds at the ocean floor repeatedly for months at a time. Marine experts say these sounds can harm marine and coastal resources – and could have significant impacts on the state’s fishing and tourism industries.
After a lot of R+D it looks like effective marine vibroseis sources are becoming a reality.

And by "effective" I mean "better than air gun arrays in a number if ways"

https://www.shearwatergeo.com/225/resou ... e-vibrator

geophix
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by geophix »

This is bad news for the survival of seismic operations. It could be the final straw for certain companies if North Carolina win.

GuyM
VIP Member
VIP Member
Top poster of the Month

Post by GuyM »

Hmm - I'm not sure how critical this one area is to the industry survival; WesternGeco have no boats, and I'm prepared to wager the other companies are all in the "data library" game as well. They like new real estate (ie under explored areas) for the speculative potential, rather than the actual potential of oil and gas exploration.

The onshore picture in NC wasn't fantastic; yes there were resources that could be adapted for modern unconvetional gas production (fraccing) but the potential was kind of small and the gas market had already peaked as supply went through the roof. Same issue now with oil, of course.

So - might just be that the economic potential isn't so great as to move the dial long term on the states finances or employment; with extractive industries its always a question of how much money will be retained in the State (or country) and how much flows out with the demand.

Feels more like people making political statements to me...

GuyM
VIP Member
VIP Member
Top poster of the Month

Post by GuyM »