ground conductivity/resistivity testing around electrical substations

Anything about geophysics and geoscience: jobs, events, technical or general discussions ...
Rossi80

ground conductivity/resistivity testing around electrical substations

Post by Rossi80 »

Hi Everyone!

Im knew to this forum and hoping someone might be able to help me out with some info. I am looking for some equipment to test the conductivity/resistivity around substations to provide information to engineers designing additional earthing at these sites, does anyone know of any systems best suited to doing this type of work and the best methods? the more cost effective the better..i was thinking VES for the method but maybe there is a more suitable method? looking at some res systems which are pretty pricey and have the capability to to large areas....we only need to do small areas around the substation boundary and dont need to survey very deep (2m max). Has anyone done this type of work? and if so what have you provided as a deliverable? 2D psuedo section? just readings?
any info would be much appreciated!

geophix
VIP Member
VIP Member
Top poster of the Month

Re: ground conductivity/resistivity testing around electrical substations

Post by geophix »

I think you are talking about 4-pin Wenner method of resistivity sounding. You should set the "a" spacings according to engineering requirements. You can use, for example, a group of "a" spacing as 5ft, 10ft, 15ft, 20ft, 30ft, 45ft, 60ft, 80ft...

In general you need to do the survey along two orthogonal lines crossing at the point you need to test. The end result is to list the measured resistances along with their corresponding "a" spacings. The engineers will take it from there.

You can find details in standards like ASTM G57-06 and IEEE Std 81

Any equipment in the list should be OK: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=252&p=6968

Rossi80

Re: ground conductivity/resistivity testing around electrical substations

Post by Rossi80 »

many thanks !! that info helped a heap!