Profiler 400

Geophysical applications on environmental investigation, mineral prospecting, engineering, archaeology, forensics, hydrology...
Relic
Facebook: relicgeo

Profiler 400

Post by Relic »

I seem to have an affinity for relic equipment and my recent acquisition is par for the course. What I got is an unused profiler that I'd like to get up and running. It should be a nice addition to augment my radar interpretations and do quick EM scans. The instrument seems to work except for the Recon data logger. It's not that it doesn't function but it only takes partial data then begins rewriting the same data over and over. Support for this instrument no longer exists and I was hoping someone remembers a problem like this and has an answer. Thanks.

MrMister
Silver Member
Silver Member
Top poster of the Month

Re: Profiler 400

Post by MrMister »

I have a faint memory that this happens when the Recon ran out of storage space. Is there plenty of room on the device? Maybe you can save data to the SD or CF card.

gmradar
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by gmradar »

You are using too much of the internal memory this is why. I think you can connect a new memory card and save data in there. Used to have one back in 2009 but not anymore.
Symetrics Geophysics and NDT
Your reliable Geo Supplier
Shop :arrow: https://www.gmradar.com/shop.html#/

Relic

Post by Relic »

Thanks for the responses. My datalogger was working and it appears the data was getting scrambled in the download. I solved the issue with a CF card. I suspect there has been "tinkering" with where the data gets stored and I can probably solve it with a flash and rewrite of the Profiler software but I don't have the means to do the rewrite yet. I'd just prefer to ditch the Recon and use a datalogger with a better GPS or DGPS. I might need to rent an instrument and reverse engineer a solution. Thanks y'all. I'm now diving into resurrecting a pile of polycorders. Anyone still using these?

MrMister
Silver Member
Silver Member
Top poster of the Month

Post by MrMister »

Nope. Allegros are more useful, and relatively cheap on eBay. Some use Archers or Recons, I prefer having the keypad. And two serial ports on the older Allegros still comes in handy.
You can hook up an external GPS to the Recon. Profiler should connect to Recon by BT, which leaves a serial port for GPS. Somewhere in my stash I have a SirfStarIII GPS that is either CF slot or PCMCIA slot, I don't remember which. But I remember that I bought it to put in a Recon, it has an external antenna jack, so you can put an external antenna under your hat our up on a pole or whatever. SirfStarIII were the best at getting a fix under tree canopy, then they lost their patent and Garmin chips are just as good. At one time though Garmin handhelds came with SirfStarIII chips in them.

Relic

Post by Relic »

The GPS is in a compact flash slot. The recon has 2 slots but the GPS is held in with screws so I was unscrewing it to get the memory card out. I finally got active sync on my field XP so as of this evening it's now drag and drop. I'll definitely look at an Allegro since the GPS I have right now is sub acre. At least it logs the lines in the same general direction.

99thpercentile
Gold Member
Gold Member
Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ryanenorth/

Post by 99thpercentile »

Unfortunately, the data collection software for he Profiler is hard coded for the screen resolution of the Recon, which is different that the Archer. The COM port settings are also hard coded for the Recon. I never got the Profiler software to work on any generation of Archer. I did get the software working on a Trimble GeoXH 6000, but not the Geo 7x. I have spoken with GSSI several times over the past three years to request the communication protocol specifications for the Profiler since it was discontinued three years ago. They always tell me that upper management doesn’t want to release that information. If I had it I would just wrote a new collection program. I first used the Profiler in 2009 on two projects at Fort Bliss, TX and Fort Wainwright, AK and the report gets lots of views on Researchgate
Ryan E. North, PhD, RPG, GISP
Principal Geophysicist
ISC Geoscience
ryan.e.north@iscgeoscience.com

Miljan 21

Post by Miljan 21 »

Respected members, I own Profiler EMP-400 from 2014 years . I'm interested in which program you use for 3D processing?
Last edited by Miljan 21 on Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

geophix
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by geophix »

Miljan 21 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:55 pm
Respected members, I own Profiler EMP-400 from 2014 years . I'm interested in which program you use for 3D processing?
Are you talking about using multiple frequencies for 3D inversion?

Miljan 21

Post by Miljan 21 »

I have owned the machine for some time and work with 3 frequencies at the same time, 15000, 10000 and 3000. I process the data using the SURFER 8 and VOXLER 4 programs, but for the end result I do not get the desired data in 3D.

geophix
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by geophix »

In my opinion, I don't think you can get much trying 3D with Profiler 400. I remember there is an article in Geonics website explaining why 3D doesn't work well using multiple frequencies. I don't think it mentioned Profiler 400, but apparently it's meant for it and maybe other similar products. BTW, Profiler 400 is discontinued by GSSI. The data quality is not good compared to Geonics EM31 which has a single frequency. I used both Profiler400 and EM31, the data I got from Profiler400 is not stable.

Relic

Post by Relic »

I'm just using my profiler on a single frequency.

On a sort of related topic, how are multiple instruments/dipoles combined for a 2d slice/3d view? Like using EM31 data from vertical and horizontal dipoles, or a 31/38 data set, or using both coil sets in a new 38? Is there literature on this subject? I have a relic EM34 that would be kinda cool to take out and do some recreational geophysics with. With the 10, 20 and 40 M spacing and the 2 dipoles that's 6 unique pieces of data. Geonics mentions this in some of their literature and even how to calibrate to efficiently collect this data, but I don't see how to jam this data together. I have a feeling that my answer lies in a lot of studying before I start twisting knobs in Geosoft.

Miljan 21

Post by Miljan 21 »

Thank you for your comments so far regarding working with the EMP-400 Profiler and I ask for your opinion on the following issues.

What is the best frequencies for finding the following types of target:
1) Metal - ?
2) Masonry structure (baked brick) - ?
3) Cavity - ?
I am also interested in which 3D processing program gave the best results?

Thanks in advance !