Possible Nobel Prizewinning Discovery

Anything about geophysics and geoscience: jobs, events, technical or general discussions ...
NonAcademicDiscovery

Possible Nobel Prizewinning Discovery

Post by NonAcademicDiscovery »

I asked several geophysicists who study the geomagnetic field if it has a pattern. They all said no.
From looking at three years worth of geomagnetic readings (from one station), I found that there is a pattern. I looked at readings from other years and the pattern was still there.
The reason no one else sees the pattern is because the pattern is mathematically too complicated for most people to see.
This discovery is important because it means geophysicists will be able to figure things out that they couldn't figure out before (it will open up things that weren't open before). It is also important because we can use my pattern-finding method to find patterns in other areas.

geophix
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Possible Nobel Prizewinning Discovery

Post by geophix »

Nobel prize? I really doubt it.

NonAcademicDiscovery

The geomagnetic field is a puzzle that people have been trying to figure out for over a hundred years, and I figured out a huge piece of the puzzle.
Every field of science has a puzzle that everyone is trying to figure out.
We still haven't completely figured DNA out. Think about all the people who spend their lives trying to figure it out and all the discoveries we've already made.
What I discovered is going to get us closer to figuring out the geomagnetic field. It will also lead to other discoveries. You can say that's not Nobel prize worthy, but all the people who have dedicated their lives to solving the major puzzle in whatever field of science they've chosen would probably disagree with you.

GuyM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by GuyM »

You can say that's not Nobel prize worthy, but all the people who have dedicated their lives to solving the major puzzle in whatever field of science they've chosen would probably disagree with you.
I know some of the team that found the "new" continent of Zeelandia and while that got them a paper in Nature and a lot of global press it wasn't worthy of a Nobel prize. They'd spent their careers unearthing the evidence and putting it together (a body of work in which I played a small part)

Actually that's probably a first step. It's a huge achievement to have your work recognized by a publication like Nature, and the Nobel Prize Committee has to invite you to make a submission. If you can predict the next polar reversal then that's pretty cool - especially if you can also model all of the past polar reversals.

God luck

NonAcademicDiscovery

GuyM wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:33 am
If you can predict the next polar reversal then that's pretty cool - especially if you can also model all of the past polar reversals.
I probably could. I would just need some time to work on it.

GuyM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by GuyM »

Well being able to model all of the previous reversals that are preserved in the geological record would validate your model.
You'd still need to get the work published in a peer-reviewed journal to gain traction and recognition, however.

serguei58
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by serguei58 »

God luck