Bistatic antenna

Geophysical applications on environmental investigation, engineering, archaeology, forensics, hydrology...
Prospekteur
Silver Member

Bistatic antenna

Post by Prospekteur » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:26 pm

Could someone explain the pro and cons oft bistatic antenna surveying?

gmradar
VIP Member

Re: Bistatic antenna

Post by gmradar » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:09 am

Bistatics usually go deeper than the mono statics. You can also adjust the spacing between the dipoles.

disadvantage: usually they are bigger than monostatics. Most of the times they are not shielded.
GM Radars,
www.gmradar.com
The reliable Geo Supplier.

Prospekteur
Silver Member

Post by Prospekteur » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:47 am

Thank you gmradar ;)

Ive also seen that they also used a lot in landmine detection.

99thpercentile
Gold Member

Post by 99thpercentile » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:16 pm

The first step in answering this question is to define bistatic and monostatic. Monostatic means that one antenna element is functioning as both the transmitter (Tx) and the receiver (Rx). All monostatic systems have the antenna in a single housing, while some bistatic systems have both Tx and Rx in the same housing and others use separate housings for each. The advantages of monostatic systems is simplicity and the disadvantages are: can't start recording on the Rx until the ringing stops; and the limitations on the geometries that can be used. Many bistatic antennas have the same issues as monostatic antennas because they are both enclosed in the same housing. Bistatic antennas in separate housings allow the user to perform common midpoint surveys (CMP) to determine velocity. They allow the user to perform transillumination surveys where on antenna is on one side of a structure and the other antenna is on the opposite side and the direct arrivals are measured instead of reflections. They allow the user to perform cross borehole surveys and two-dimensional travel time tomography measurements. They also allow the user to change the orientation, and therefore the polarization, of one antenna relative to the other.

I regularly use my Sensors & Software PulseEKKO Pro system, which has separate Tx and Rx antennas, more than my Noggin system that has bistatic antennas but in a single housing. Typically bistatic GPR systems with separate housings cost more than either bistatic systems in a single housing or monostatic systems. It all depends on your application and budget.
99thpercentile@gmail.com
Research geophysicist

Prospekteur
Silver Member

Post by Prospekteur » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:05 pm

@99thpercentile: very good and informative answer. Can you explain this cmp method a bit more ? I know that my reflexw have possibilities to work with this thing ;)